Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Election Day 2012


I am intentionally writing my weekly blog early on this Election Day 2012. I participated in early voting, so I will not be making my way to the polls today. I have a very busy day ahead, so I am relieved I do not have to worry about the particulars of managing my schedule and getting to my polling place.

From my vantage point, there is a lot of anxiety surrounding this election. Pre-election polls indicate a toss-up between the two candidates, and some “experts” believe this election is so close that we will not know who has won until Wednesday or even later.

I must say that I am as interested in this election as any since I have been of-age, and there have been times I have struggled to hold back for the risk of appearing partisan. My maternal grandmother once gave me the sound advice of not discussing religion or politics. Since I willingly violate half of that on a regular basis – talking religion is my lifework after all – I have been very careful not to publically discuss politics. I think this is important because I don’t want to alienate anyone for the sake of the gospel – which is paramount – by focusing too much on politics – which frankly is not. Regardless which political party is in power, the Apostle Paul’s advice to us in Romans 13 is to submit to our authorities to keep our conscience – and witness! – clean so we can testify with love to the One who is truly in control!

Pastor John Hagen and I were talking about this election on Monday. We didn't discuss the candidate we support, but we did discuss the greater truth that will greet our Wednesday morning, despite the fact that one or both of us might be disappointed in the election results: Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever. (Hebrews 13.8)

However you find yourself on the day after the election, remember that Jesus IS the same! He is the One whose love surrounds us and motivates us forward to serve, share, and shine regardless of who occupies the Oval Office. Though we might personally believe that one individual might be a better fit to lead the country, we are only to place our hope in the One person who is our hope, leads us into eternity, and will not let us down: Jesus Christ!

So here is a good word for you on this Decision Day and for every day following. May it comfort or confirm you with the love and peace of GOD as we prepare to keep on keeping on, despite the results of today’s election:

Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ!
In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,
and into an inheritance that can never perish, spoil or fade.
This inheritance is kept in heaven for you,
who through faith are shielded by God’s power
until the coming of the salvation that is ready to be revealed in the last time.
(1 Peter 1.3-5)

No comments: