Thursday, May 10, 2012

Today is National Clean Your Room Day


I get a kick out of the funny and nonsensical holidays. Some days I pay attention to them when others I do not. Today's (May 10th) national day is one that really struck me. Did you know that today is National Clean Your Room Day? It is...no kidding!

Room cleaning is something that strikes different people differently.
Personally, I find cleaning to be therapeutic. I know some might think I need therapy for finding it therapeutic, but I do. There is just something about the sense of a job well done when I see vacuum tracks in our carpets, a shiny kitchen floor, the aroma of pine sol emanating from the bathrooms, and knowing that everything is in its proper place.

I have learned something in my life, however, and that is I am far more willing to clean my house than I am the homes of others. Maybe that will quell the offers I'm sure will come for me to come and clean your house. When we really get down to it, though, we might feel a bit uneasy about having another come to clean our house because it will destroy the illusion of how clean we try to make ourselves appear. I have honestly heard of some who clean before a housekeeper arrives to try to help alleviate some embarrassment of being dirty. The fact of the matter is, if we are truly living in our homes, then we are bound to make a mess that must be cleaned.

If we are truly living, we also must acknowledge and admit that there are times when our homes aren't the only things that need a little TLC. The difficulties and struggles of life can wear us down, tire us out, and make us in desperate need of someone to come and work on us...someone who truly knows what to do.

As Jesus was about to burst on the scene, John the Baptist was being asked if he himself was the long-awaited Messiah.  He adamantly professed he was not, and one time said the following, as told in The Message paraphrase of Luke 3:16-17: "I'm baptizing you here in the river. The main character in this drama, to whom I'm a mere stagehand, will ignite the kingdom life, a fire, the Holy Spirit within you, changing you from the inside out. He's going to clean house—make a clean sweep of your lives. He'll place everything true in its proper place before GOD; everything false he'll put out with the trash to be burned." What an amazing promise! John was telling His disciples, and us today, that Jesus wants to come and bring the power of GOD to us so we can be right with GOD. Once we are right with GOD—and remember, this is GOD's work, not just yours—then we will be able to enjoy the peace that comes when we know everything is in its proper place.

On this National Clean Your Room Day, may you make it a personal task to welcome the Lord into your life so He can do what He does best...clean YOU so you can enjoy the peace and hope that comes from being right with Him. He definitely wants to, but He needs you to welcome Him in. In fact, the Bible says that Jesus stands at the door of your heart, knocking and to be welcomed inside (Revelation 3:20). Once He is there, the remodeling job He does in your life will absolutely be something to behold. So open up your life, and let Christ do what He does best on this, the National Clean Your Room Day, and every day of your life!

No comments: