Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Keep on Shining!

I had an interesting reflection the other day. It was a rainy and dreary Friday evening, and I had to run to the store to get some provisions for the weekend. Kroger was so crazy-busy with others getting off work doing the same thing as I, and people were milling about in such a rush to get back to their families and their warm dry homes.

The parking lot was full, and as I left my car to scurry to the front of the store, something occurred that has become all too common: nothing. No one spoke to me, or really even acknowledged me for that matter. I know I am often guilty of this, too, but something was going on in my car that once upon a time would have raised an air of concern from other shoppers...my headlights were still on.

My little car has automatic lights, and will stay on for about thirty seconds after arming the alarm and keyless entry system. It used to be that when this happened, people would graciously approach me to let me know my lights were still on out of concern for my car battery. Now that automated headlights are pretty common on our vehicles, people rarely notice or care if they see someone else's headlights still on in an empty car. After scurrying to the overhang, I turned around for a quick glance and was struck by how many headlights were piercing through the rain drops and dreary dusk.

This got me thinking about Jesus' instructions to let our light so shine so others can see the goodness of God through our good deeds (Matthew 5:16). It seems advancements in technology have all but removed our ability to warn someone that their lights are still on, but the fact that our light must continue to shine regardless leaves us with an ongoing responsibility. Though parking lots might be somewhat illuminated by the coming and going of people with their automatic lights, what is going on in the immediate wake of our ordinary coming and going?

If we are truly to let our light shine for God, then we do this best when we utilize our life and energy to make an impact so the glow of our unique illumination lingers for others to see. Some might consider this leaving a legacy, but we are called to do this every day and every place we go.

Do you leave a glow when you exit your car? A store? Your office? Your home? Your place of recreation and play? Is your light shining so as to leave an illuminating glow wherever you go?

Perhaps we need to recapture the kindness of letting people know their "lights are still on." This can be done by showing gratitude, compassion, forgiveness, graciousness, and mercy. Compliment, don't criticize. Congratulate, don't critique. Look for the goodness of God in others, and shine a light on it so others can also bask in its glow. Your own light can be a light-starter for someone else, and in so doing, you never know whose life you might just help God change.

I am reminded of some wisdom my mom used to share with us when we were still young, and sticks with me today: a candle loses nothing by sharing its light. May we be light-sharers for the goodness of God and in service to others. If we are intent on changing the world — and that is our mission, by the way — then it begins simply by letting the glow of our own Jesus light radiate and keep on shining.

"You are the light of the world.
A city on top of a hill can’t be hidden. 
Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a basket. 
Instead, they put it on top of a lampstand,
and it shines on all who are in the house. 
In the same way, let your light shine before people, 
so they can see the good things you do
and praise your Father who is in heaven." 
(Matthew 5:14-16)

No comments: