Thursday, August 27, 2015

You've Got Me? Whose Got You?

Dear Mia,
Today is a big day for you! In just a few hours, we will pack up, head to the Wuhan airport, and fly to Guangazho, China, where we will have a couple appointments at the U.S. Consulate and finalize your adoption!

Our week in Wuhan is one we will never forget. I'm sure between your age and the stress of it all, you probably won't remember much; hence another reason for this "Mia's Place" page, to help us document our time together from the very beginning. From Gotcha Day on Monday, to breakfast this morning, we have gotten to know you a little better each day. 

You are a priceless jewel, Mia, you really are. You have a precious smile, an infectious laugh, and an uncanny ability to capture the eye of people around you. And despite all you have been through in your young life, you are showing unmistakable signs that you are trusting your mommy and daddy to care for you. You want us both around all the time. When we are eating. When we are playing. When we are just having quiet time in the room. 

Something special to me happened yesterday. We went to the Yellow Crane Pagoda and saw some very beautiful architecture and breath taking views of Wuhan. I took lots of pictures. All of us were able to go to the top floor of the pagoda in an elevator (we had to tell the attendant you had surgery, otherwise we would have had to carry you the 9 flights of stairs to the top). You and mommy rode the elevator back down to the ground level and I took the stairs so I could see the rest of the sights. 

We weren't separated for more than 10 minutes, but when I got back to you, big tears were streaming down your face and you lunged for me. I swept you up in my arms and you laid your head on my shoulder in an attempt to convey your relief. I whispered in your ear that daddy was back and daddy will always be there for you. We finished touring the grounds of the pagoda with you in my arms...content...feeling safe...where you belong. 

In those moments, I was taken back to Gotcha Day when I got to see and hold you for the first time. None of us were really sure what to do, but I knew one thing: we had you. And you had us. 

Something that you probably will not remember is what I was wearing that day. The pictures will show I was wearing khakis and a navy golf shirt, but I had on an undershirt, too. A royal blue one. A kind of shirt that is a bit of tradition. 

When your brother was born, your Big Nannie bought me a Superman tee shirt to wear at the hospital. I did. And in fact, I still wear it everyday on his birthday. 

Since I wasn't there the day you were born, I wasn't able to wear a Superman shirt in your honor. But for Christmas this past year – the same day China said we could bring you into our family – your Little Nanny gave me a Superman shirt to wear for your Gotcha Day. That is the blue undershirt I am wearing in your Gotcha Day pictures. 

In the original Superman movie, there is this wonderful scene where Superman reveals himself to the world. There is a helicopter accident and Lois Lane falls toward the ground. Superman leaps into the sky to save Lois and keep the helicopter from falling to the ground. In that scene, as Superman catches Lois Lane, he says, "Don't worry miss, I've got you." With incredulity she asks, "You've got me, whose got you?" I love that scene!

The day after Gotcha Day, as my shirt was sitting on the bed in our room, Tiffany got a glimpse of something you were trying to do. You had gotten that shirt and tried putting it on yourself. You can't deny it. I have the pictures to prove it. Immediately, I thought of the scene in that Superman movie: "You've got me? Whose got you?"

I have you, Mia. Mommy has you. So does Ethan and the rest of your family. And you know what? You have them, too. But that's not all, because God has all of us. God has orchestrated this entire journey to give you a family...a home...your place. And sure, it's going to take us some time to get to know each other better, and it's going to take some time to learn how to live together. There will be some tough days and some challenges. But there's one thing I want you to always remember: I've got you. You've got me. And God has all of us. 

I've been to Wuhan to claim you. I have the tee shirt to prove it...the same one I'll wear every August 24th from here on out. And as we fly on to Guangzhou to make it all official, I'll be right there to hold you so you know you're not alone, carry you when you can't take another step, calm you when you get scared, soothe you when you get sad, and to remind you that even though I'm no superman, I believe that the real hero of this story holds me as I hold you. Our Father in Heaven. God Almighty. 

So don't worry, Mia. I've got you. And if you need to be reassured of who has me? Well you do, of course; but so does the One who led your mommy and me to you. He'll be taking flight with us today as we continue this journey to bring you to your place. 

Love,
Dad

No comments: