Wednesday, January 7, 2015

On Setting Goals

Today is January 7th. Much has been written and said about New Year’s resolutions that even the very topic seems cliché. Still, the New Year provides a wonderful opportunity – a clean slate, if you will – for us to make the intentional choice to do things differently and make this our best year yet.

Honestly, I quit making New Year’s resolutions several years ago. More accurately, I made four resolutions that I knew had to be more than something I did at the start of a new year…they had to become part of what I did at the start of each and every new day. These were my four:

  1. Daily Bible reading apart from sermon preparation;
  2. Get in control of my health;
  3. Get in control of my schedule;
  4. Make sure my family knows they are a priority.

It did not take long for me to realize that these were not just New Year’s resolutions, but new day resolutions that require my regular focus and attention.

When I made those resolutions a couple years back, it dawned on me that what I wanted to change was innate behavior. This is probably true for the vast majority of people who make New Year’s resolutions. You likely have a temperament trait or two that you do not like and choose to use the clean slate of the New Year to change them. What happens more often than not, though, is a few days into the New Year, we lose our will power and revert to comfortable behavior patterns. So now that we are one week in to the New Year, how are you doing with your resolutions?

As the calendar changed to 2015 – perhaps like you – I reflected upon my resolutions, realizing that to make real lasting change, I still have to work and focus on these each and every day. Without daily attention, I slip back into old worn out ways of thinking and behaving that caused me to want to make changes in the first place. There are a few things I definitely want to accomplish at the start of this New Year. So to help me with my goals for 2015, I am using these five tips for goal setting that I want to share with you. May these tips help you achieve positive and lasting change, not just for this new year, but for each and every new day:

  • Set a specific goal – know what you want to achieve as opposed to some nebulous thought

  • Make it reasonable – know what you can do, but also be mindful of your limits
  • Set a timeframe in which to achieve your goal – know when you want to achieve your goal; this will help you in times of weakness when you might want to stray. This can also help you create margin for times when you know you will need to deviate from your plan.
  • Make it measurable so you know when you’ve reached it, along with some touch points along the way to help keep you motivated.
  • Be accountable to others who can help keep you on track, or get you back on track before you get too far off course.

I hope that these tips might be helpful for you to set and achieve your goals for 2015. Whether they are changing unhealthy patterns, or maintaining healthy ones, these tips can help you achieve great things not just in this new year, but in each and every new day!

Happy New Year,
Pastor Mark


Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me…
Forgetting what is behind
 and straining toward what is ahead,
I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which
God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
(Philippians 3:12-14, NIV)


No comments: