Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Commencement: The Beginning of Something New

Many families have just survived one of the most thrilling and emotionally charged events that can take place in the life of a child: graduation. I can recall all of my graduations, from kindergarten to my doctorate degree. Each one was different as I completed one stage of my life and prepared for a new one.

The word commencement is often associated with graduations. The meaning of this word, as told by Norman Osborn in the first Spider-Man the movie is, “The ending of one thing but the beginning of something new.” When I reached these benchmarks, I focused on what I had just completed, reveling in the achievement of a job well done. Sometimes, I was filled with remorse or regret for the things left undone, people I had hurt, and friends I would never see again. But as soon as a day or two had passed, I began pondering what my future held. From first grade to my last pastoral appointment, the ending I had just experienced was the beginning of something new.

All too often we tend to think of endings as just that, endings. We might be inclined to obsess over what we leave behind, things we’ll never do again, and people we might never see. But in reality, when anything ends, we are on the horizon of something new.

In the Biblical book of Ruth, tragedy had befallen Naomi. Her husband and two sons had died. To her, this was an enormous ending. She encouraged her daughters-in-law to return to their home of origins and start anew. But Ruth, who had become very loyal to Naomi, refused, pledging to stay with her until they were parted by death. Naomi urged Ruth time and again to return to her home, but Ruth’s determination to stay with her mother-in-law only grew.

In Ruth 1.16, Ruth says these words to Naomi, “Don’t urge me to leave you or to turn back from you. Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God.” Ruth was faithful to her word. She stayed with Naomi and eventually married Boaz. What is remarkable about Ruth’s story is that through her faithfulness, she became the great-grandmother of King David. And through King David, God sent us Jesus. By remaining faithful through her tragedy, Ruth took her place in the lineage that brought salvation to all humankind. I think it is safe to say God had a plan!

Who knows all that God has in store for us when we complete one stage in our life and embark upon a new one? We might think that tomorrow can never be as great as yesterday, but that sure does limit God! God tells us, “For surely I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord, plans for your welfare and not for harm, to give you a future with hope. Then when you call upon me and come and pray to me, I will hear you. When you search for me, you will find me; if you seek me with all your heart, I will let you find me, says the Lord.” (Jeremiah 22.11-14a)

May we see endings in life as the beginning of something new. Commencement. From graduations in school and beyond, when we trust in God who has a plan for our lives, we can rest assured that the best is yet to come!

No comments: