Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Insight into the Divine Discomfort



There is a practical concept in theology called the divine discomfort. The idea here is there are times when God leads us into various kinds of discomfort in order for us to experience or effect change. I really experienced this when God called me into the ministry, because I was very comfortable in my life. I had a job I loved and was in a relationship that meant a lot to me. The discomfort came when the young lady I was dating and I went to see the old Tom Cruise movie, “Jerry Maguire.” In the movie, Maguire realizes that the job he has, working for a mega sports management company, is running contrary to his purpose. He gets fired and then starts his own firm with a vision for providing a different kind of service to his clients. Well, after my date and I saw this movie, she broke up with me, not because I wasn’t a catch, but because she could clearly see that I wasn't living according to my purpose. We broke up and I was devastated, but through prayer and reflection, I was able to see how she was correct. I then applied to seminary, left the job I loved, began my vocational ministry, and embarked on a new journey that LITERALLY changed my life. It all worked out well, because once my life was back on track, God brought that young lady and I back together and we married two years later! When Tiffany and I got back together, though, we were both changed!

Discomfort leads to change. Like in health, exercise can lead to discomfort in painful muscles, but muscles get bigger and stronger as they heal. A new healthy diet can cause discomfort when we miss our favorite junk food, but realize better energy levels and smaller waist sizes. This does not mean it is easy or comfortable, because often times it is not. By nature, we are creatures that are averse to change. In biology, this is called homeostasis as all organisms in stress want to return to balance and comfort. What we aren’t always able to do is filter good from bad in our search for comfort. This is why despite our better intentions, we will reach for the cookies and fall to the couch despite our better judgment. We get in our routines and before we know it, we are practically immovable. Think of it this way: you can’t spell routine without rut. This does not mean that our routines and habits are bad, but if we get so entrenched that we are incapable of seeing or agreeing to God leading us in a new way, we have a problem.

The good news is God deliberately places times and events in our lives that call us to make an honest assessment of how we are living, and maybe...just maybe...embark on a new grand journey that will leave us changed! Lent is one of those times. Lent calls us to discomfort as we take a look at our lives and realize that we are mortal. Lent calls us to discomfort as we realize we cannot save ourselves and we need a Savior! Getting closer to God can often lead us to a time and place of discomfort as we break some of our old habits and begin new ones that reflect the image of God to others. If we add a new discipline – like praying or giving – we might feel some discomfort from missing time or money. If we are giving something up and fasting, we might experience discomfort; yet, once the unfading glory of Easter comes, we will come to see just how true it is that life isn’t about us, but about the love and grace of God in our lives that we are also called to share with others.

If God is taking you through a time of discomfort, know it is for a purpose. You are being given an opportunity to make a change that will change you, and likely others, for eternity! Jeremiah 29.11 tells us that God has a purpose for us, to give us a future with hope, but to realize that, we often have to embark on a new journey that we are reluctant to begin on our own. My prayer for you this Lent is that you will (1) take an honest assessment of your life; (2) spend time with God to discern where He wants to lead you; and (3) make the necessary changes to allay the discomfort – not for comfort's sake – but in order to follow the Lord wherever He leads.  For as Jesus had to spend time in the wilderness, there are times when we will, too. But think about what we might be able to experience on the other side! 

No comments: