Wednesday, September 26, 2012

My Strength vs. GOD’s Strength



I was studying the concept of inner-strength the other day. This is something that has often times intrigued me. As a person of faith, I truly believe that my strength comes from the LORD. Where I struggle, however, is when I think I am responsible to act, lead, and serve in my own strength. When I live in such a way, I am invariably tired, ornery, stressed, and wimpy. This is not good for me, and certainly not for those who have to spend time being around me. It can be hard to admit at times, but this is sort of an inner struggle for me to draw upon GOD’s strength as opposed to counting on my own. After all, GOD’s strength is limitless where mine is safe to say, well short of limitless.

I am reminded of a great story where a father and son were walking on a trail and passed a large boulder. The dad told his son, “I bet you can move that rock if you use all your strength.” The little tike stressed and strained against the rock, but it did not budge. Embarrassed and exasperated, the boy looked to his father and said, “I guess you were wrong; I used all my strength and I couldn’t move it.” The father lovingly knelt down beside him and said, “Son, you didn’t use all your strength, because you didn’t ask for my help.”

The Bible tells us that GOD wants to help us learn to allow His strength to be our strength. When we insist on doing things our own way, regardless of the task, we run the risk of emptying our strength reserve. Let’s face it…our strength is limited whereas GOD’s is limitless! But when we rely on GOD’s strength first, we are capable of things we cannot possibly imagine!

I love the exchange that GOD had with the Prophet Isaiah, talking about this very subject: strength. GOD had charged Isaiah with sharing His message and helping to inspire His people to change. Isaiah began this work in His own strength and he found himself worn out and burned out. Sound familiar? Check out the conversation between the LORD and Isaiah: “‘[Isaiah] replied, “But my work seems so useless! I have spent my strength for nothing and to no purpose. Yet I leave it all in the Lord’s hand; I will trust God for my reward.’ And now the Lord speaks—the one who formed me in my mother’s womb to be his servant, who commissioned me to bring Israel back to him. The Lord has honored me, and my GOD has given me strength.  He says, “You will do more than restore the people of Israel to me. I will make you a light to the Gentiles, and you will bring my salvation to the ends of the earth.” (Isaiah 49.4-6, NLT, emphasis mine)

I love this passage, because it teaches that GOD wants to infuse us with His strength for living out our lives, the tasks great and small. When we do that, then GOD adds purpose to our endeavors and transforms them to achieve goals that we likely cannot even conceive…even to help bring salvation to the ends of the earth! These are lofty goals to be sure, but it all begins when you allow GOD’s strength to enter, empower, and transform you in little and big things alike!

We are mortal beings—there’s no way around that! Even in our best times, we will tire out if left on our own. So as you seek to live anew, calling upon and counting on the strength of GOD to be your power, remember the words of the Psalmist: My health may fail, and my spirit may grow weak, but GOD remains the strength of my heart; he is mine forever.” (Ps.73.26, NLT) 

May GOD indeed be the strength you need now and forever!

No comments: