Friday, August 31, 2012

Calming the Storm



I have been riveted by the coverage of Tropical Storm/Hurricane Isaac. I have always found such coverage fascinating as experts try to predict the unpredictable. Of course, the fact that within this week we mark the anniversaries of Hurricanes Andrew (20 years) and Katrina (7 years), keeping an eye on Isaac seems to be even more essential in light of our historical knowledge. Isaac might not have packed quite the wallop of an Andrew or Katrina, but it definitely has and will impact landscape and lives forever. The bottom line is, after such a storm, we are forever changed!

Storms of any kind remind us of our vulnerability. Regardless of the knowledge and/or strength we might be blessed with, all we can do in the face of the storm is prepare then sit back and wait. Still, no matter how hard we try and no matter what we do, we are unable to manipulate or change the weather.

During such times, I cannot help but reflect over Jesus. In Matthew 8.23-27, we read about an instance when a storm came upon the Lord and His disciples. The disciples – many of whom seasoned seafarers – were terrified for their safety. Jesus, on the other hand, was fast asleep. The disciples incredulously roused Jesus from his slumber, which prompted Him to speak to them about their faith. Afterwards, and it is important to note that this takes place after his brief mention of faith, Jesus calmed the storm. The lesson to be learned in this is that though Jesus has the ability to calm storms, He is far more concerned with calming those who are enduring the storm.

Enduring and surviving storms changes us. Sure we might have some scars (both real and metaphorical), but as we know from medicine, we are stronger in those areas where we have scars. We might be stronger, sure, but it is also true that we are even more aware of our vulnerability, and that epiphany is rarely fun. Still, this has the potential to help us change our misplaced sense of indestructible self-confidence to a true faith and trust in GOD Almighty! This is no minor shift, my friends! That being said, seeing and sensing a storm on the horizon gives us the opportunity to praise the Lord, because it is in such times that we can see firsthand how He is hard at work!

Are you enduring a storm today? Are you feeling vulnerable by the fact that you cannot control your life circumstances? If you answered yes, then there is no better time to turn to the Lord and allow Him to calm the churning in you, regardless of the churning in nature. If you find that you need help in calming the storm within, I invite you to prayer this prayer with me:

Dear Lord,
I recognize that I cannot control all of my life circumstances, let alone the power of nature. Help me to experience your presence and power and embrace the fact that you are more concerned with calming the storms within me than the storms outside. When I am anxious, give me your calm. When I am restless, give me your peace. When I am lonely, give me yourself. I also pray for those who are living in the midst of life’s storms right now…those actual and those metaphorical. And for those truly in harm’s way, I ask for protection. In the precious name of Jesus, I pray. Amen.


Have a great week!
Pastor Mark


No comments: