Thursday, September 10, 2009

What Memory Foam Helped Me Remember

Our Walt Disney World vacation this past summer was memorable for many reasons. We had a great time, but strangely enough, one thing stood out to us: the comfort of the bed. Perhaps the beds were so cozy because we were whooped after all the fun and frivolity that is a trip to the "Happiest Place On Earth," but as we investigated the mattresses, we learned they had a memory foam pillow top. After a couple nights of sweet sweet dreams, I knew we needed an upgrade at home.

Upon arriving back home, Tiffany made it her purpose to find us a memory foam mattress topper. She finally found the one she liked best and exemplified patience until the topper went on sale. She brought it home, we unwrapped it, placed it on the bed, and prepared for a good night's sleep.

I'll say this, the memory foam mattress topper is worth the wait and the money (especially after being purchased on sale). I am sleeping so much better. It cradles me just right, isn't too hot, and enables us both to wake up sans the aches and pains with which we had become all too familiar. The memory foam -- and pardon the intended puns and inferences -- is a dream come true!

As my alarm went off this morning, I went through a fairly standard procedure of thinking about all I had to do today and asked God to bless me, my family, my endeavors, and those people with whom I come in contact. In prayer, I was working to remember my role in this world and the sovereignty of God, full of love, grace, and mercy.

I found myself searching the scriptures this afternoon and happening upon a passage that had escaped my consciousness. In Psalm 63, we read these words,
"Because your love is better than life, my lips will glorify you.
I will praise you as long as I live, and in your name I will lift up my hands.
My soul will be satisfied as with the richest of foods;
with singing lips my mouth will praise you.
On my bed I remember you;
I think of you through the watches of the night. "
(vs.3-6, NIV, emphasis mine)

I don't need memory foam to help me remember how much I need the love of God, but the busyness of life, has a tendency to cause me to lose focus. I need to remember that I am simply not capable of being all I need or want to be on my own ... none of us are. With God, though, we are capable of so much more than we could ever dream.

If you do not have a regular practice of giving your day to God, I want to encourage you to do so. You don't need memory foam to make it happen, just something to help trigger within your mind that you need to stop what you're doing and focus on God. It might be every time you touch a door knob, the steering wheel, or hear a phone ring. Regardless, find some way to help you remember to give God His due take your proper place in this world. And don't beat yourself up if you miss it from time-to-time; it happens to me, too. But do make a point to remember the Lord and how His love is better than life. Give Him the glory and offer Him your praise.

Have a great day!

No comments: