Monday, August 10, 2009

Birthdays Are Fun, But They're Meant For More Than One

Birthdays are fun, aren’t they? Well, at least for most. I remember being a kid and counting down to my birthday, which is in December, just a couple weeks before Christmas. The magic and excitement of that time made me want to pop as I thought about all the toys and surprises that awaited me. I loved the attention and couldn’t wait until “my day!”

As I became older, however, my anticipation for my birthday began to change somewhat. It isn’t so much about getting older, that’s never really been an issue for me, but I think now it has more to do about the attention. I enjoy it, don’t get me wrong, but I also realize that my birthdays aren’t just about me.

I remember when this new mindset came to bear; I was a freshman in college and turning 19 years old. The girl I was dating at the time broke up with me (ON MY BIRTHDAY) and I was devastated. As my parents were determined not to let it ruin my day, they ended up calling my closest friends who came over with just a few hours notice to help me celebrate “my day.” What started out to be a wretched evening turned into one of the finest days of my life.

As I processed what my friends and family did for me, it occurred to me that my birthdays aren’t really just for me. They are an opportunity for the people who have loved me, nurtured me, cared for me, and attended to me throughout my life to celebrate the common bond we share.

This coming Thursday, The Lighthouse UMC celebrates its 3rd Birthday! I am excited as I think about how far this church has come in three years time. It has certainly had its ups and downs, but as we prepare to throw the church a party, it isn’t about bricks and mortar (and that’s a good thing since we don’t have any!) as much as it is about the hearts that have been touched and lives that have been changed – I count myself in that number many times over. As we gather on Sunday to celebrate, we will do so joyfully for the common bond we share in Jesus Christ! I am reminded of the words from 1 Peter 2.9-10a, “But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light. Once you were not a people, but now you are the people of God…”

As we gather for a wonderful party this coming Sunday, commemorating what has been accomplished and what lies ahead, we aren’t just celebrating an entity’s birthday…we are also celebrating the lives of those who make Lighthouse the church that it is past, present, and future. I cannot wait to be in worship on Sunday, singing, praying, worshipping, meditating, and I’m sure shedding a tear or two for all that God has done and is doing. But as we gather, I acknowledge this isn’t just about a church with a name, as much as it is about the people that make it so special. And as we gather, may we also commitment to stand together for many more years of ministry, impacting the world beginning in our own back yard. For God’s people gathering and joining together for a celebration of life is the best way I can think to celebrate three years of ministry – serving, sharing, and shining in Coweta and Fayette counties and abroad!

Happy Birthday, Lighthouse!

2 comments:

Mark Jordan said...

Come join us for the Lighthouse's 3rd Birthday Party, this coming Sunday, August 16. We'll have a special worship service (10.30am) at The Legacy Theatre, followed by a picnic at Shamrock Park in Tyrone. You can learn more by visiting us online at www.lighthouseumc.net.

Unknown said...

a great find for panda fanatic!
my roomate won't put it down!!!
hkpanda.freetzi.com