Friday, May 29, 2009

Swimming Lessons Can Change Your Life

Ethan and I made our first trip to the neighborhood pool the other day. While we were swimming together, he asked me about my teaching him how to swim when he was just about three-years-old. He picked it up pretty quickly, but remembering those days – and one afternoon in particular – made me reminisce fondly.

He had always been a water bug of sorts, the only problem was, he couldn’t swim on his own. He had water wings, noodles, and float suits to aid him, but the time was quickly approaching for him to learn how to truly swim. So one afternoon, our family ventured out to the neighborhood pool. We started by putting him in his float suit. After splashing around a bit, we then put him in his water wings. Shortly thereafter, we took the water wings off and I held him up while he got the feeling of kicking his feet and using his arms without any swim aids. He was getting the hang of it well enough and his confidence was beginning to soar. The time had come for my amphibian-in-training of a son to spread his fins and swim!

We started by standing on the steps to the pool in the shallow end. I stood at arms length from him and coaxed him into swimming to me from the step. After he made it back and forth a couple times—proving to himself he could swim without floats—he was ready to add a little distance. So I stood in front of him, still at arms length, and told him to swim to me. The closer he got the further back I would walk. As he realized what was going on, his eyes widened to the size of saucers and he began to truly swim. I started cheering him on, telling him he not only could do it, he was swimming all on his own.

I kept my arms held out to reassure him he was still within his father’s reach. Then at the moment he could no longer go on, I grabbed him, held him tightly, and gave him all the praise my body and soul could muster. Suddenly, I looked around and realized he swam the entire width of the pool! Just knowing his father was close gave him all the confidence he needed to reach deep down in his heart for strength greater than he could realize!

What a lesson we can glean from my son’s first swimming lesson. Sure he was intimidated and a little scared, but knowing his father was there gave him all the confidence he needed to face the challenge at hand and accomplish something perhaps he never thought possible. We all have a tendency to get comfortable and rely on “life preservers” to achieve things in life—particularly when faced with challenges. But these life preservers often keep us from tapping into the inner strength given by our loving Creator and having the faith to rise above the nearsighted low expectations we set for ourselves. For no matter what challenges lie before us, the hands of our heavenly Father are stretched out, offering us the assurance of His presence and infusing us with divine strength.

Isaiah 59.1 tells us, “Surely the arm of the LORD is not too short to save...” What an image as we consider just how swimming lessons can change a life! When we realize the Lord is as close as breath, we need not fear the unknown. Knowing the Lord’s power and drawing upon it gives us the strength we need to face life’s challenges with complete confidence. Sure, life preservers can give us peace of mind, but the power of God can steady your heart. Press on, know the Lord is with you, and do not fear the unknown. For God said, “Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go.” (Joshua 1.9b)

1 comment:

Shannon Karafanda said...

I'm that way with EVERYTHING. If I've got a hard task to face - even if I know how to do it - it always helps to have someone around to at least get me started. I think that's why God wants us to work together as well as know that He is there for us.